You can’t go wrong with Chicken Fajita Wraps. Mildly spicy but with the option to heat things up, I show you how to make your own chicken fajitas completely from scratch with an easy-to-make fajita seasoning mix that pairs perfectly with the rest of the chicken wrap ingredients. The whole family will keep returning for more with this easy meal!
What Makes This Recipe Great!
- Mildly Spicy – Packed with flavour but the heat is kept to a minimum, making it suitable for the whole family.
- Made From Scratch – I prepare my own seasoning and even show you how to make Flour Tortillas in another recipe so you can be assured of the best flavours, free from preservatives.
- Make Ahead – You can make elements of this meal ahead of time, The seasoning, flour tortillas, and dicing and slicing of the chicken, peppers and onions can all be done and then frozen. The seasoning can be stored in an airtight container for 3 months.
About This Recipe – In More Detail
Chicken fajitas are a great way to bring the taste of Mexican food into your family home. With a simple fajita filling of diced chicken breast, bell peppers and red onion, you can dress it up in any way that you want to. Add in some fresh avocado flavours with our Guacamole Without Onions, fresh sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and some sliced jalapenos (if you like the spice) and you have delicious fajita wraps that work well as a midweek family meal, or as a DIY fajita bar (so that everyone can create their own wraps with their chosen toppings).
For that real Tex-Mex feeling, try my Sweetcorn Ribs with Chipotle Butter on the side, or some refried beans. You could serve up some baked sweet potatoes with a drizzling of Jalapeno Mayo. And, if you love spicy chicken wraps, try these Nando’s-Style Peri Peri Chicken Wraps next! Or, if you want a veggie option go for these Falafel and Halloumi Wraps. And, if you love the taste of Fajita spices, try these Fajita Fries next!
- Large Mixing Bowl: A large bowl is used for mixing the fajita seasoning with the diced chicken, peppers, and onions.
- Large Frying Pan or Large Skillet: To cook the marinated chicken mix until it’s fully cooked and slightly charred.
- Cutting Board and Knife: For chopping and slicing the bell peppers, onions, and chicken breasts.
- Bowl for Seasoning Mix: A small bowl to combine all the spices for the fajita seasoning.
- Spatula or Mixing Spoon: To evenly mix the seasoning with the chicken and vegetables.
- Tablespoon and Teaspoon: For accurate measurement of ingredients, especially for the seasoning mix.
- Plates and Serving Dishes: For arranging and serving the prepared fillings and ingredients.
- Clean Cloth or Tortilla Warmer: To keep the tortillas warm before assembling the wraps.
- Second Pan for Toasting Wraps: A clean pan to gently toast the assembled wraps.
For The Rest Of The Wrap:
- Fajita Seasoning Blend: You can buy readymade fajita spice mix from most supermarkets and grocery stores. However, we have made our own using a blend of cornflour, chilli powder, salt, sweet smoked paprika, white sugar, onion granules, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. In our opinion, homemade fajita mix is much better than store-bought seasonings since you have the powder to adjust the spiciness and flavourings to suit your tastes.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: I slice chicken breast into thin strips and marinate it in the seasoning mix.
- Bell Peppers: Adds colour, flavour, and texture to the filling when sliced and cooked with the chicken. You can use red peppers, yellow, orange or green peppers.
- Red Onion: Provides a slightly sweet and sharp taste when sliced and cooked along with the chicken and peppers.
- Flour Tortilla Wraps: The base for the fajita wraps; used to encase the chicken and vegetable filling.
- Guacamole: A creamy, flavourful avocado sauce added to the wraps, offering richness and a hint of tanginess.
- Sour Cream: Adds creaminess and a cool contrast to the spicy chicken mix.
- Cheddar: Melts and adds a rich, cheesy taste when sprinkled over the warm tender chicken.
- Sliced Jalapenos: Provides a spicy kick and additional flavour if desired.
Additions and Substitutions
- Chicken: Substitute with beef strips, shrimp, tofu, or a mix of vegetables for a vegetarian option.
- Bell Peppers: Use different coloured peppers like green, yellow, or orange for variety.
- Red Onion: Swap with white or yellow onions for a different flavour.
- Flour Tortilla Wraps: You can choose whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas if you prefer. You can also swap them out for lettuce leaves and make chicken fajita lettuce wraps. The best lettuce is Iceberg lettuce for this.
- Guacamole: Avocado slices or a chopped avocado salsa could replace guacamole.
- Sour Cream: Substitute with Greek yogurt for an alternative.
- Cheddar: Experiment with different types of cheese like Monterey Jack or pepper jack for a spicier kick.
- Fresh Herbs: Add chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for freshness.
- Lime: Squeeze some lime juice over the filling for a citrusy flavour.
- Salsa: Serve with homemade or store-bought salsa for added zest.
- Black Beans: Include cooked black beans for extra protein and texture.
- Corn: Mix in cooked corn kernels for sweetness and texture.
- Fajita Seasoning Variation: Customise the seasoning blend with additional spices like chipotle powder, or Mexican oregano for a unique taste you can also alter the heat level by adjusting the amount of chilli powder and cayenne pepper in the spice mix.
- Grilled Vegetables: Incorporate grilled zucchini, eggplant, or mushrooms to complement the chicken filling.
- Black Pepper: For extra seasoning, freshly grind some black pepper over the top of the filling ingredients before sealing.
- Lettuce: Add in some lettuce leaves of your choice for extra goodness. Try little gem lettuce, butterhead lettuce or curly lettuce for a few options.
- Hot Sauce: Drizzle over your favourite hot sauce for added spice and heat.
Step-By-Step Guide – How To Make Easy Chicken Fajita Wraps
Step 1: Seasoning Preparation
- Combine cornflour, chili powder, salt, smoked sweet paprika, white sugar, onion granules, cumin, garlic granules, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Chicken and Vegetable Preparation
- Dice the chicken breasts into thin slices and place them in a large bowl.
- Thinly slice the bell peppers and red onion, then add them to the chicken strips. Mix thoroughly.
Step 3: Seasoning and Marinating
- Pour the prepared seasoning blend over the chicken and vegetables, ensuring an even coat.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate, letting the mixture marinate for 1-2 hours.
Step 4: Ingredient Preparation
- Prepare the other filling ingredients. Set aside.
Step 5: Heat Oil and Cooking the Filling
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat with a little olive oil.
- Add the marinated chicken and vegetable mix. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked and slightly charred.
Step 6: Assembling the Wraps
- Warm the flour tortillas and set the filling ingredients separately on the table to enable your family or friends to create their own chicken fajita wraps.
- Alternatively, create the wraps before serving. Place the warm tortillas on a flat surface and add guacamole to the centre of each one. Add the cooked chicken fajita filling, cheddar, sour cream, and jalapenos plus any other ingredients you want to add.
Step 7: Wrapping and Toasting
- Fold the tortillas by first folding the bottom across the filling, then folding the sides in to create a parcel.
- Heat a clean frying pan and toast each wrap on both sides until it becomes golden brown and toasted and holds its shape. Serve the crispy chicken fajita wraps immediately for the best flavour.
Absolutely! Making the spice blend ahead saves time and allows flavours to meld for a richer taste. Homemade fajita seasoning will store for around 6 months in an airtight container.
Adjust the quantity of cayenne pepper or chili powder in the seasoning blend to tailor the spice level to your preference.
Warming the tortillas makes them more flexible, preventing them from tearing when wrapping the filling.
Pro Tips and Guidance
- Marinate for Flavour: Allow the chicken and vegetables to marinate in the spice blend for a longer duration, ideally 1-2 hours or more. This ensures deeper flavour penetration.
- Balanced Heat: Adjust the level of spiciness in the seasoning blend by modifying the quantity of cayenne pepper or chili powder according to your spice preference.
- Sear for Char: Cook the chicken mixture over high heat initially to get a nice char on the outside of the meat, adding depth and smokiness to the flavour.
- Warm Tortillas: Heat the tortillas before assembly to make them more pliable and prevent them from tearing when wrapping the filling.
- Toast for Crunch: After filling the wraps, lightly toast them in a dry skillet or grill pan. This step adds a crispy texture to the tortilla and helps seal the wrap.
- Serve Fresh: For optimal taste and texture, serve the wraps immediately after toasting. Enjoy them while warm and melty!
Store any leftover cooked chicken fajita mix and assembled wraps separately. Refrigerate them in airtight containers for up to 3 days. Keep toppings like sour cream, guacamole, and sliced jalapenos in separate containers to maintain freshness.
To reheat the chicken fajita mix, gently warm it in a pan over medium heat until heated through. For reheating assembled wraps, use a skillet or oven (preheated to 175°C/350°F) until warmed and crispy.
While the chicken and vegetable mix can be frozen, it’s best to freeze them separately. Store the cooked chicken mixture in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Assembled wraps are not ideal for freezing due to potential texture changes in tortillas and toppings.
When ready to use frozen chicken fajita mix, thaw it overnight in the fridge. Reheat it thoroughly before assembling fresh wraps.
Check Out These Fajita Recipes
Making your own guacamole is so simple and tastes much fresher than any store-bought versions you can buy.
Once you have made your own flour tortillas at home, you will never want to buy them again!
A delicious cinema-style nacho cheese that goes great will chicken fajitas.
Download your Free 7-Day Dinner Planner
+ Bonus Shopping List!
Chicken Fajita Wraps
For the Fajita Seasoning Blend
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp White Sugar
- 0.5 tsp Onion Granules
- 0.5 tsp Cumin
- 0.5 tsp Garlic Granules
- 0.25 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Create the Fajita Seasoning Blend by mixing the seasoning ingredients together in a bowl. Set Aside.
- Dice the chicken breasts and place them into a large bowl.
- Finely slice the peppers and onion, then add them to the chicken. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the seasoning blend over the chicken and veggies, ensuring everything is evenly coated with spices.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate, letting it marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients for the filling. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with a little oil and add the marinated chicken mix. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked and slightly charred.
- Once ready, assemble the wraps: warm the flour tortillas and place the filling ingredients separately on the table.
- Alternatively, create the wraps by adding guacamole to the centre of the tortillas, then add the cooked chicken mix, cheddar, sour cream, and jalapenos.
- Fold the tortillas by first folding the bottom across the filling, then folding the sides in to create a parcel.
- Heat a clean frying pan and toast each wrap on both sides until it becomes toasted and holds its shape.
- Marinate Longer: Let chicken and veggies soak in spices for deeper flavour, and marinate ideally 1-2 hours or more.
- Spice Control: Adjust spice levels by tweaking cayenne pepper or chili powder amounts as per taste.
- Char for Depth: Start with high heat to sear chicken, enhancing the flavour with a smoky char.
- Warm Tortillas: Heat tortillas before assembly to avoid tearing and increase pliability.
- Toast Wraps: Toast assembled wraps in a dry skillet for a crispy texture and secure seal.
- Serve Warm: Enjoy wraps immediately after toasting for the best taste and texture.